Selecting the right essential oil diffuser can be a daunting task now that the market is riddled with diffusers for almost every need. This is all made possible with how aromatherapy has taken off in the past years. That’s why, as a consumer, you should equip yourself with every piece of knowledge necessary for you to choose the best diffusers for essential oils.
Different Types of Diffusers
There are four general types of essential oil diffusers. These are: Cold Air Diffusers, Heat Diffusers, Ultrasonic Diffusers, and Evaporative Diffusers.
It’s important to know how each one operates prior to investing in your own diffuser unit. Cold air diffusers use room air to vaporize essentials oils. They are sometimes called nebulizer diffusers since they function like a nebulizer. They can be the least expensive kinds; however, they use up essential oils faster. Heat diffusers, on the other hand, are great for creating amazing smells with the use of a heating device (mostly by heating water). The downside of using heat diffusers for essential oils is that the inherent healthy properties of oils are lost once you heat them at high temperatures.
Ultrasonic diffusers for essentials oils are considered the all-around great choice since they can function without rendering the oils useless. They operate by producing ultrasonic vibrations in the water; thus, causing the oils to vaporize. Evaporative diffusers for essential oils functions with the use of a fan that blows air into the essential oil component. These are often used in inhalers, bracelets, or pendants laden with essential oils.
How to Use Diffusers for Essential Oils?
Now that you know the different types of essential oil diffusers, using them will be easy based on how the diffuser unit is constructed. Most diffusers come with an instruction manual straight from the manufacturer. It is imperative to follow the specifications set on the manual (like essential oil brand, power outlet assignation, water refill type) to ensure that it functions as intended.
Diffusers for essentials oils are low maintenance devices and are relatively easy to clean, too. You can choose a unit that has timers and automatic shutdown mechanisms so that you do not have to worry about it overheating. Just make sure to clean the diffuser regularly or once fortnightly.
Other Things to Consider Prior to Buying a Diffuser
- Room Size Capacity – Diffusers primarily designed for essential oils are constructed differently depending on the room size that it is intended to be used for. Prior to your purchase, determine the place where you will be using it. Some diffusers can cater to the entire area of a house’s first floor while others are intended for small spaces only.
- Oil Change Features – Some diffusers for essential oils only work with a specific brand or oil. If you intend to use different types or brands of essential oils, make sure to verify if the unit can work in such conditions. Most manufacturers have strict warranty contracts that will become void if you use a different type of oil.
- Timer – As mentioned earlier, essential oil diffusers with timers are extremely handy especially to busy parents or working young professionals. You do not have to worry about wasting electricity or essential oil as the diffuser automatically turns off after a predetermined amount of time. The timer feature also allows you to schedule specific times of diffusions on some models. This is extremely helpful if there are guests coming to your home or if you prefer to have your home pre-vaporized before you arrive from work.
- Airflow Control – This feature in diffusers for essential oils is helpful if you want to adjust the rate at which your diffuser unit vaporizes the oils. If you want to save up on the essential oils or if you just want to mellow down the scents around your room without having to turn off the unit entirely, choosing a unit with airflow control feature should be on your list.
- Clean-up Specifics – Most essential oil diffusers are small, compact devices. They are easy to operate and are also easier to clean. Some units are constructed to be spill-proof and sturdy, making them perfect for households with children and pets. As mentioned earlier, cleaning most ultrasonic diffusers for essential oils will only require emptying the water receptacle and the occasional alcohol swab if essentials oils have dried up.
The Right Diffuser
The best diffusers for essentials oils are the ones that will suit your specific needs. You can get a typical heat diffuser if you just want to have great-smelling living room in a home filled with pets. If you are into the healing and therapeutic effects of essential oils, then an ultrasonic diffuser is suitable. If you want to be in the zone at your convenience, you can get a personal diffuser in the form of an inhaler or bracelet. The right kind of essential oil diffuser is the one that you will adjust perfectly for your needs.