Essential oils (oils extracted from aromatic plants, roots, flowers, bark, wood, or seeds) are widely known for their various benefits from healthcare to home and garden maintenance. Due to their powerful antioxidant properties, they have been used for many years in different applications including perfumes, soaps, aromatherapy, skincare products and medicinal purposes.
Research indicates that the medicinal value of these oils is remarkable and can be used to treat several different health concerns which include digestive issues, arthritis, joint pain, stress, muscle fatigue, skin conditions, sore throat and congestion among others. The liquid in essential oils affects the physical body with their natural chemistry of medicinal properties such as antiviral and antibacterial, analgesic and anti-inflammatory, cooling or warming, and stimulating or calming. The profound aroma shifts the emotional and mental state, as it connects with the olfactory nerves into the limbic system. This is the reason why smell is a language of thoughts, emotions, and memories.
Here are five the best essential oils and their benefits.
1. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is one of the highly versatile essential oils available. it is commonly extracted from flowers of the lavender plant through steam distillation. Is naturally fragrant and it is very useful in aromatherapy. Many aromatic preparations and combinations are made using lavender oil. It blends well with several other essential oils including pine, cedar wood, geranium, nutmeg, and clary sage. Lavender essential oil is used in different forms such as gels, lotion, soaps, infusions, and aromatherapy.
The benefits of lavender essential oil include the following
– Bug Repellent: You can apply lavender oil on exposed skin to prevent irritating bites from bugs such as midges, moths, and mosquitoes among others. The smell of this oil is potent for these bugs. In case you are bitten by any of these bugs, lavender oil is anti-inflammatory and can help relieve the pain and irritation.
– Nervous System: Lavender oil has a calming scent which is excellent for treating anxiety and soothes frayed nerves. It can also be used in treating depression, emotional stress, nervous tension, and migraines.
– Sleep: Health professionals have recommended lavender essential oil as an alternative treatment for insomnia.
– Digestion: lavender oil increases the mobility of food within the intestines. It also stimulates the production of bile and gastric juices which help in the treatment of digestion problems.
– Respiratory Disorders: Lavender oil is an excellent remedy for various respiratory disorders such as cold, flu, cough, sinus congestion, bronchitis, and tonsillitis among others.
– Pain Relief: Lavender oil is widely used to alleviate various types of pains.
– Urinary Disorders: Because of its stimulating effect on urine production, lavender oil is used to help controlling urine flow.
Lemon oil works basically with the immune, respiratory and immune systems to promote healthy functioning in the body. Studies have indicated that, of all the essential oils, lemon oil is the most powerful anti-microbial agent.
Lemon essential oil can blend well with Fennel, Peppermint, Geranium, Ylang Ylang, Frankincense, Eucalyptus, and Sandalwood.
The benefits of lemon essential oils include:
– Immune support: lemon oil enhances lymphatic drainage.
– Improving moods: you can diffuse lemon essential oil in the air to help relieve depression and lift moods.
– Face wash: lemon essential oil can improve the appearance of your skin.
– This oil can be used in the treatment of insect bites and stings, headaches, skin issues and respiratory disorders.
– It can help with hair loss and relieve for dandruff.
– You can also use this oil to make a furniture polish.
Oregano is a popular essential oil that is known for its culinary abilities. To use oregano oil, you must first dilute in a carrier oil such as almond or olive oil because it is highly concentrated; a single drop goes a long way.
The benefits of oregano essential oil include:
– Treatment of foot fungus: you can dilute 1 teaspoon of oregano oil in 2 teaspoons of olive oil and apply on the affected area thrice a day.
– Disinfectant: you can add few drops of water and spray on working areas and countertops to eliminate odors and bacteria.
– Oregano essential oil is powerful antibacterial, antiparasitic, antiviral, and antifungal oil that can elevate pain and inflammation while preventing infections.
– You can add some drops of oregano essential oil to juice and drink at least four glasses a day to treat sinus congestion. Repeat until the symptoms are of congestion are completely gone.
Frankincense essential oil is extracted from resin or gum of olibanum or frankincense trees. The main components of frankincense oil include Octanol, Alpha-Pinene, Octyl Acetate, Bornyl Acetate, Incensyl Acetate, Incensole, and Linalool. Frankincense is a very popular ingredient in cosmetics and fragrance.
The benefits of frankincense include;
– Respiratory disorders: Frankincense essential oil eliminates phlegm deposited in the lungs and respiratory tracts. It soothes coughs and also provides relieve from bronchitis and congestion of lungs, pharynx, bronchi and nasal tract.
– Tonic: Frankincense provides benefits to all the body’s operating systems including digestive, nervous, respiratory and excretory systems while increasing strength through supporting absorption of nutrients in the body. It is therefore considered as a tonic.
– Astringent: The astringent value of Frankincense has numerous benefits. It strengthens hair roots, gums, tones and lifts skin hence preventing premature losses of hair and teeth. It also reduces the appearance of wrinkles and enhances the firmness of intestines and abdominal muscles.
– Oral Health: Frankincense oil prevents oral disorders such as bad breath, mouth sores, toothaches, cavities, and other infections.
– Immune Health: Frankincense oil is a powerful antiseptic. The smoke or fumes obtained from burning this oil have disinfectant and antiseptic qualities that eliminate germs. It can be applied on wounds to protect them from tetanus and becoming septic. It can also be used in the treatment of internal wounds.
Peppermint essential oil is fresh, instantly recognized and nostalgic. Its scent inspires a sense of peace by invigorating the mind senses. It is commonly used for sports massage due to its cooling and tingling sensation on the skin.
Benefits of peppermint essential oil
– Health care professional recommends peppermint essential oil for the treatment of digestive problems including irritable bowel syndrome, heartburn, and indigestion.
– It can be used for massage to help the body relax
– You can diffuse peppermint oil for a fresh aroma to help uplift spirits and boost moods.
– It can be inhaled to treat symptoms of colds and coughs.